Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Heart Issues

I have been having heart issues for the past month or so. Apparently for some reason my heart beat is irregular so my heart is not pumping as much blood as it should. It's not a big deal by a Cardiologist's standard. A few different medications and it should all be fixed. From my standpoint, it causes constant chest pain and makes me incredibly tired all the time. After a few weeks I think  the issue should be fixed and I should feel better, but I don't.

I am sorry to say I have had more than one day where I think my life is hard and wonder why I can't jus be 100% healthy. I am always glad when I have the opportunity to remember that MANY people have it far worse than I do. Awhile back I read an incredible book called, Before My Heart Stops by Paul Cardall. He had seven open heart surgeries and countless operations. He waited over a year for a heart transplant in terrible health and also endured the loss of his brother (who was only 32 years old).

Suddenly my life sounds pretty great. Here's one of my favorite quotes from his book:
“Our lives are full of these moments when the thick fog of adversity surrounds us. Yet we somehow adapt. We plow ahead and move forward with our lives as best we can. We choose how we are going to handle such a crisis. Within each of us is the ability to transform our wounds into wisdom." 

I love this. Every day is a choice to be grateful for what I have and appreciate the great things in my life. There is always something to be thankful for; I believe gratitude can save us in our moments of despair. In the wise words of my brother, "I know for sure the hard things in life are just there to make us better." 


 

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thought you did- "Why can't Emily just be healthy?? Can't she catch a break!" But what an eternally significant lesson you've shared. You're in my prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete