The other night I had a friend text me and ask me for help.
When I asked her what she needed, she said she was writing something for work:
A single person’s perspective on Valentine’s Day. My first instinct was to
throw up in my mouth. I was born on February 11 and have grown up with people
referring to me as a “Valentine’s baby.” This along with the fact that to me,
Valentines day became lame after I stopped getting candy in school, has made me
despise the holiday. However, I recently have come to some realizations that
have made V-day so not awful anymore. And it didn’t start by my relationship
status changing.
Realization #1: Love extends beyond boyfriend/ girlfriend or
husband wife relationship.
This sounds corny and super obvious, but it’s true. A few nights
ago I was talking to a friend and he said that he always sends his mom flowers
on Valentine’s Day. Maybe I live under a rock, but I know of very few guys in
their twenties (or guys in general for that matter) that send things to their
moms on Valentines’ Day. This reminded me that when I was young, I came home
from school to find a purple rose (my favorite color) from my dad on
Valentine’s Day. I can remember several years where he would send me a flower
at school or have something waiting for me when I got home. My dad is the
ultimate example of knowing how to treat all the girls in his life right. So
think about your family or your close friends. Maybe one of them could use a
card or treat to let them know how much you care about them.
Realization #2: Life is better when you’re happy.
Another obvious truth, I know. However, I also know way too
many people (and I hate to say it’s mostly girls) who are extremely unhappy
when this time of year rolls around. They become cynical, talk about how much
they hate men, how stupid men are, and how all men seem to date the wrong type
of girl. This is usually followed by an excessive intake of chocolate, ice
cream, candy, cookies, or anything else high in calories that they feel like
will help them drown out the sorrow of their sad, single existence. All the
while watching ridiculously cheesy chick flicks and wishing their life was like
a Nicholas Sparks book.
Every girl can probably admit to at least some of this behavior;
sometimes it happens. But lately I have noticed how obnoxious it is when people
are negative about anything: how it just kind of sucks the life out of you. Dwelling
on something that you can’t change at the moment is so miserable! And though a
lot of people might not believe this, I think I can choose my attitude about anything
and everything. And I think it’s great to be happy, on Valentine’s Day or any
day of the year; because I have a family and friends who love me despite my
weird and quirky behaviors… and that’s a pretty great thing.
yet another example of your pure perfection. Thanks for much for posting this!
ReplyDeleteHappy early birthday :)
I love the way your philosophy spins! It's ok to write just to write! It's from the heart and it is great!
ReplyDelete